Monday, April 20, 2009

First Holy Communion


Spring is here! The weather is teasing us, the tulips and crocuses are popping up, and First Holy Communions are just around the corner. Every year I enjoy creating images of this special event and am reminded of the photographs my father made of my First Holy Communion.

It was a leggy, spindly child, all spiffed up in a white dress, shoes and gloves, standing next to the portly Monsignor Schneider with his signatory peaked hat, for the typical photo to celebrate the day. My father, with his Kodak rangefinder slung over his shoulder, always shot Kodak slide film, and today, those images still look good! And that was 44 years ago.

When I look back on my family's photos, I realize the impact and importance that the images I make today will have on family's for generations to come! Families will enjoy seeing this young boy, who will someday be someone's uncle or father and they will say things like, "He still has that same look," or they'll remark, "Little Matt looks so much like his father did at that age!"

This brings me back to a favorite quote I have near my desk: "Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." William James

No comments:

Post a Comment