Saturday, February 21, 2009

Cold Seat


Today's a "hunker down" day around here.  Blowing and drifting snow is making for some great landscapes outside.  I can hear the snow shovel calling to me in that "you've got a chore to do" kind of voice.  But first I've got some great news!

In a month, I'll be adding to my fine art landscape photography images in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park!  Yes, I know I'm repeating myself here.  This week I got all my backpacking food sent up to AK and I'm starting to collect my winter gear together for packing.  In the meantime, while I was cleaning up an external hard drive to take along with me, I found this image from Kennecott, Alaska.

Kennecott is known for it's historic copper ore mine, where up to 70% pure copper ore was harvested from 1908 - 1938.  On the road named Silk Stocking Row, there were homes that housed the administrative types from the mine.  The mine and mill workers bunked up in long, bunk houses.  A couple of years ago I made this image of a blue chair in one of those Silk Stocking Row houses.  The image was striking in it's color but also the lonely tone it carried.  The open door and cabinet accompanies the emptiness of the chair.  A blue color for the emotion of lonely and all was complete.

These houses are presently being restored by the National Park Service with the help of skilled, local laborers.  I wonder what it looks like in the winter?



No comments:

Post a Comment