Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Urban Wildlife



A month ago, while I was walking my dogs towards Lake Park, I noticed a healthy fox coming down the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street, barking warning barks at me. Little barks, like when your dog wants to go outside. My dogs held steady, curious as to what kind of "dog" this was with a bushy tail. It crossed the street and walked along the opposite side with us, as we moved closer to the park. Then it found a rather nice viewpoint on a corner lot with a raised front yard, about 4 feet higher than the sidewalk. I figured it was protecting a liter of pups so the search was on to find out where their den was. I wanted to photograph them.

Deb, our postal carrier had all the info. Six kits and the address of where they were denning up. Today she updated me as to their whereabouts and I headed over with a 300mm f2.8 lens. One parent and one kit were in the front yard playing when I drove up. I used the car as a blind and made just a few shots when mom barked a little "yip' and into the den they ran.

This kit looks real healthy so now I know why I'm seeing less rabbits this spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment