Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Vermont's Winter Landscape


If you love to cross-country ski, Vermont's Trapp Family Lodge can't be beat! We're here to do some classical skiing on their magnificently groomed trails and generally have fun outdoors in the winter. My muscles are telling me that I should have been doing this at home, before we left, but what the heck, falling's easy when there's a 2 foot base of snow!

So the snow's good, the skiing fantastic and the nature photography is fun - and a bit challenging. It's 2 above this morning so it was a layer-up and head out. I walked about a mile towards my destination of this open field with white birch trees. I was hoping that I wasn't too late, as the sun was getting higher in the sky. But then I realized that I was in the state of mind of Dewitt Jones. You know, that sort of "I'll take what I'm shown" kind of attitude.

Sure enough, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears." The angle of the sun was low enough to give me some shadows, yet bright enough to make the birches stand out. I did some blending of 2 exposures in Photoshop and got what I saw in my mind's eye. Since "class is still in session", I'm heading out again for some afternoon "tutoring." Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment