Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wrangell-St. Elias National Park - Bonanza Peak


Last fall I spent 2 weeks in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park photographing with my friend, Jason Gallus, from MN. The locals had told me that it had been a rainy, cold summer and that they'd only had 3 consecutive sunny days all summer. Well Jason and I had some luck early on in our stay!

Having been here many times in the last 10 years, I planned for us to be where we could see the entire "bowl" of mountains in the McCarthy/Kennicott area. It was a beautiful, fall evening and we were met with some great light!. I made this image from 4.5 miles away with my 70-200mm lens, tripod and cable release for an HDR image. It is the Bonanza Peak and Mountain, where 70% copper ore was discovered in the early 1900's and subsequently mined until 1938. Lots of history in those hills!

Well, I've never been to the Wrangells in winter and in 2009 I'm heading in for some winter photography! Yahoo! I've been wanting to do this for a number of years and the stars never could line up for me. So I'm looking forward to some Aurora Borealis and a landscape of snow and ice over the last 2 weeks of March. I have a friend who will take me out with a dog team and show me some backcountry that I've never set foot in. Another new adventure!

I should be greeted with 30-40 degree days and zero overnight but I'll be cozy in the cabin. Stay tuned come April!

No comments:

Post a Comment